Dianne Thomas, RN, BSN, Deerfield Elementary School Nurse
My name is Dianne Thomas and I am the School Nurse at Woodlawn and Deerfield Elementary Schools. I earned my BSN in 1995 and have been a RN for 25 years and a school nurse for nearly 18 of those years. I love working for Lawrence Public Schools. I enjoy coming to work every day and working with the amazing people of Lawrence. Feel free to call or email me any time with questions or concerns about your child's health!
There are 5 ways a School Nurse benefits a school:
- School nurses improve attendance through health promotion and disease prevention and management. We perform health screenings every year for each student and follow-up with parents/guardians as needed. School nurses are an important liaison between schools, parents/guardians, physician and community agencies.
- School nurses help improve academics by helping students stay healthy to remain in the classroom ready to learn by providing assessment and provision of initial care for illness/injury and providing medications and treatments to all students in need of health services.
- School nurses help save time by attending to the needs of students. The School Nurse participates in the identification, referral and health appraisal with staff.
- School nurses designate and train staff on the various needs of all students and staff so that appropriate care and treatment is maintained even when the nurse is not present.
- School nurses assist with accountability by following State and Federal Guidelines in compliance with state immunization requirements, maintaining health records, and preparing for emergencies.
My contact info:
S. Dianne Thomas, RN, BSN
Deerfield Elementary & Woodlawn Elementary