Degrees and Certifications:
Ms. Julie Schwarting
My pronouns are she, her (Why I include pronouns).
I teach a combination of freshmen Biology, Environmental Science and AP Environmental Science and I also sponsor Hacky Sack club and Garden / Environmental Club. Over the past several years, I've collaborated with KU researchers to create a Free State Prairie Restoration experiment in the northwest corner of the Free State campus. This outdoor learning area has created many opportunities for Free State students to engage in authentic research alongside KU professors and students. During the 2019 pandemic, students continued working with community experts outside of school to research, design, and create a Permaculture Garden and Outdoor Classroom at the southeast end of FSHS. Each year a new group of students has the opportunity to reimagine the space and add their own unique legacy to an ecologically sustainable FS garden. Ultimately, the goal is to connect students with resources in their community through authentic, Project-Based Learning, and empower all students to evaluate and utilize scientific evidence to promote positive change in their world. Appreciating our reliance on the natural world and understanding human impacts on the environment will help us adapt to our quickly changing world.
21-22 COURSES and PERIODS:
2B, 3B - AP Environmental Science
5B, 6B, 7B, 8B - Environmental Science
ROOM 427: Second floor, northeast end of the north hallway.
SCHOOLOGY: Here's the easiest way to get to assignments online:
- Open GO and click on Schoology. You may have to login/confirm your school email.
- When Schoology opens, click on the "Courses" tab in the blue band at the top of the page and it will show all courses you are enrolled in.
- Click on "Ecology and Environmental Science."
- On the left side of the page you will see an index of pages. Click on the "Materials" link on the left to see all the Unit Folders on the main page.
- Click on "Grades/Gradebook" on the left side of the page to find out what you're missing and what you've turned in.
WebEx Classroom: https://usd497.webex.com/meet/jaschwar