Degrees and Certifications:
BSW from Kansas University MSW from Washburn University State of Kansas Social Work License
Mistie Copas-Thomas (She, Her, Hers)
Hello Lawrence High School!!!
I am one of those lucky people that gets to say that I truly love my job. I am the Transition Coordinator for students receiving Special Education Services. I am honored to help students explore, dream about, and plan for their lives after high school. This includes collaborating with students, families, and IEP members to support that process.
I received my Bachelor of Social Work degree from Kansas University and my Masters of Social Work degree from Washburn University. Prior to coming to work for Lawrence Public Schools I worked for twelve years with children/families involved in the foster care system. I started my career with the district as the Transition Coordinator at C-Tran (Community Transition Program) and then eight years ago I moved to LHS to be the Transition Coordinator.
I feel very blessed and proud to call Lawrence my home. I am married and I have two children that graduated from Lawrence High School. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my family (especially my 3 year old grandson), photography, crafting, flower arranging, shopping, and snuggling with my cat!
My work hours are 7:50-4:00 Monday through Friday. Feel free to contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 785-330-4833.
Below are various resources and links to assist with transiiton planning.
Virtual Tours at Area Colleges, Technical Schools, and Universities
- Johnson County Community College https://www.jccc.edu/about/campus/youvisit-jccc.html
- Kansas City Kansas Community College https://www.kckcc.edu/admissions/new-students/campus-visits.html
- Neosho County Community College: https://www.neosho.edu/ProspectiveStudents/Admissions/CampusTour.aspx
- Highland Community College: https://highlandcc.edu/pages/visit-our-campus
- Washburn Institue of Technology: http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/washburn/tour.html
- Peaslee Tech: https://peasleetech.org/
- Haskell Indian Nations University: https://haskell.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Haskell_walking_tour.pdf
- University of Kansas: https://www.youvisit.com/tour/ku/80030?tourid=tour1_10_13_16_10137&pl=v&m_prompt=1
- Kansas State University: https://tour.concept3d.com/share/BcHQo_CvK/stop/1
Postsecondary Programs and Resources for Students with Disabilities
- KU Transition to Postsecondary Education Program (TPE): https://tpe.ku.edu/
- Johnson County Community College CLEAR Program: https://www.jccc.edu/community-resources/clear/
- Johnson County Community College TIPS Program: https://www.jccc.edu/student-resources/academic-resource-center/college-success/college-tips.html
Scholarships and Financial Aid Information
- Scholarships for Students with Disabilities: https://www.bestcolleges.com/financial-aid/students-with-disabilities/
- Vacious Scholarship Websites: https://www.usd497.org/Page/12064
- Lawrence Transit Service (general information, bus schedules, bus passes, etc.): https://lawrencetransit.org/
- ADA Services/T-Lift: https://lawrencetransit.org/ada-services/
- Transporation Services at Indepdence, Inc.: http://www.independenceinc.org/transportation/
- USD 497 Driver's Education: https://www.usd497.org/Page/6364
- Midwest Driving School: www.midwestdrivingschool.com
- Buckle Up School, LLC: https://buckleupschool.com
- Go Driving School: www.GoDrivingLawrence.com
- Kansas Driver's License Handbook: https://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/dlhb.pdf
Community Agencies and Services
- Independence, Inc.: http://www.independenceinc.org/
- Cottonwood/CDDO: www.cddo.cwood.org
- Kansas Guardianship Program: http://www.ksgprog.org/
- Home and Community Based Waiver Service Information: https://www.kdads.ks.gov/commissions/home-community-based-services-(hcbs)
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services: http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/rs/pages/employment-services.aspx
- Van Go, Inc.: https://www.van-go.org/
- Families Together: https://familiestogetherinc.org/
- Documents required for a state ID or driver's license: https://www.ksrevenue.org/dovproof.html
- Guardianship considerations: http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/PPS/Documents/PPM_Forms/Section_10000_Forms/PPS10610.pdf
- LifeCourse Framework Tools: https://www.lifecoursetools.com/lifecourse-library/lifecourse-framework/
- Disability Rights: https://www.drckansas.org/