Degrees and Certifications:
(B.S.E., M.S.E., & Ed.D) - University of Kansas "Generally a nice guy" endorsement - my mom
Dr. Chris Orlando
My name’s Chris Orlando and I’ve been called a PollyAnna, sugar-coated idealist. But I like to think of myself as more optimistic than that. I love my job and will do all that I can to help students navigate this upcoming year, discover the power of learning, and have some fun along the way. I’m a Lawrence kid through and through. Having attended Broken Arrow, Schwegler, South Junior High, and Lawrence High I have been fortunate to be surrounded by wonderful teachers. My mom taught in the district for the majority of my life, and helped me see the noble task of educating children for what it is: fun! I love my job and will do all that I can to help students navigate this upcoming year, discover the power of learning, and have some fun along the way.
See below for some shockingly personal and psychologically insightful "pros and cons" about me. Then, enjoy a few pictures of family.
- Pro: Not afraid of middle schoolers
- Con: Afraid of spiders
- Pro: I won’t call your child’s failing grade a “hot mess”
- Con: I will call it a “spicy disaster”
- Pro: I enjoy writing
- Con: My autobiography will be called, “I Need to Pee, But I Can’t Leave Middle Schoolers Unsupervised”
- Pro: Have been called an “Educational Rockstar”
- Con: Personality fits better in a 2000s boy band
- Pro: Will occasionally dole out wisdom
- Con: Have been forced to say, "Don't lick that desk" to 8th graders
- Pro: I've never stolen anything from work
- Con: I've had to steal things from home to bring them to work
My wife, Meaghan, is a kindergarten teacher. She and I have a wonderfully wiggly toddler named Jude. He’s the best :)
Just about everything I do in the classroom is because of my mom. Being raised by her is like an ongoing apprenticeship in the art of being a positive, flexible, and creative person.
Listen here for a 2:00 interview that my mom and I did with KCUR 89.3: Interview