Built in 1957, Schwegler Elementary School is located at the bottom of the south slope of Mt.
Oread, the location of the University of Kansas. Appropriately, the school is named for Raymond
A. Schwegler, former dean of the College of Education from 1907-1946.
Schwegler opened in 1957 as a four-room school serving 100 students. Student population
growth has been steady and consistent requiring six additions to the original structure over the
years. The most recent and largest addition was completed in 1988 and doubled the square
footage of the school to its present 51,000 sq. ft. In 2015-2016, construction returned to
Schwegler. As a result, a new art room, office space, and a new courtyard were constructed in
the interior courtyard space. Additional updates included new learning pockets, a new safe and
secure entrance, as well as other enhancements throughout the building.