In First Grade we try to keep things positive and work in statements like, "I can!" These statements help us obtain the guiding questions like, "How do I know the difference between a ...."
This comes in handy with the tough concepts and all the knowledge we expect First Graders to expand on from Kindergarten to best prepare them for Second Grade.
So what should you expect your child to learn this year?
Here are some quick examples!
Your student should be able to tell you at some point in the year that, "I can..."
- Demonstrate the ability to count by 2's, 5’s, and 10’s
- Demonstrate an understanding of ordinal positioning of numbers (1st through 10th)
- Solve basic problems related to simple fractions
- Solve basic problems related to addition and subtraction through 10
- Write story problems (basic addition and subtraction facts)
- Recognize and count money - penny, nickel, dime, quarter
- Recognize a picture or object showing more, less, greater than, less than
- Sort and classify by color, size, shape
- Create and extend patterns
- Listen to a story and retell in logical order
- Give and follow simple two-step directions
- Recognize and say simple compound words
- Recognize and repeat rhyming words, beginning consonants, and ending consonants
- Understand basic word patterns
- Write and illustrate sentences
- Identify the main idea of a story
- Use descriptive words about people, places and things
- Begin sentences with a capital letter, end with correct punctuation
- Correct spelling for frequently used words
- Order letters of the alphabet
- Make a personal dictionary of frequently used words
- Identify number positioning - tens and ones
- Recognize time - hour and half hour
- Recognize calendar - days of the week, months
- Addition of two-digit numbers - no regrouping
- Subtraction of two-digit numbers - no regrouping
Do you want to know more specifics about our curricuum, what standards we will focus on, our units and during what months your child will learn these skills?
I want to be be as transparent with you as possible! Please visit the link below to see our Curriculum Page for Hillcrest First Grade.