LHS Local Scholarship Information 2022-2023
Every year, Douglas County businesses, organizations, and individuals generously sponsor local scholarships for the students at both Lawrence High School and Free State High School. For the 2023 school year, over 70 scholarships have been established for LHS graduating seniors. There are a variety of scholarships available based on merit, financial need, participation in clubs and athletics, and post-secondary plans. All college and trade-school bound seniors should review the scholarship description packet and apply for the scholarships for which they meet the requirement. Students are encouraged to apply for multiple scholarships.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Review and get organized - Review the local scholarship description packet and make a list of the scholarships you are eligible for. You must meet all the criteria in order to apply. Take note of the application requirements, most use the LHS general application, others have their own application. Using the wrong application will disqualify you. Some scholarships have additional requirements such as a letter of recommendation, an essay, additional questions, and/or a personal statement.
- Complete Applications - For the majority of the scholarships, the LHS general application is used. This form is a fillable PDF, you can print multiple copies of your completed application and write the different scholarship names in section 1 as needed.
- Essays - Write any necessary essays or personal statements. Make sure that you read and answer each question clearly.
- Letters of Recommendation - Some scholarships require a letter of recommendation from a teacher or other adult who has worked with you. It is best practice to give the writer a minimum of two weeks to complete your letter of recommendation. Ask the recommender to return the letter to you in a sealed envelope. Staple the envelope to your completed application before you turn it. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE to ask someone for a letter of recommendation.
- Order transcripts- Request a copy of your transcript through parchment.com. Your class rank and GPA are printed on your transcript. Fill in Section 3 of the general application when you receive your transcript. Attach a copy of your transcript to each application.
- Final Check - Verify that your application is completed accurately and the questions are answered. Staple a copy of your transcript and any required materials to each application. Do not use paper clips or envelopes.
- Submission - As you produce completed applications, bring them to Dr. Ruis in Student Services. The deadline to return applications is Wednesday, February 15th, 2023 by 4:00 pm. LATE AND INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Local scholarship recipients will be notified in April if they have received a local scholarship. The Senior Recognition Ceremony is scheduled for Wednesday, May 3rd, 2023 at 7:00 pm in the LHS Auditorium. Local Scholarship winners are expected to attend.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION TIMELINE
- December 12th - LHS will make applications available to students.
- January 12th- Order your high school transcript from parchment.com
- February 15th - Deadline for students to return all applications by 4:00 pm
- May 3rd - Lawrence High School Recognition Ceremony
Click the link below to print and review all the Local Scholarship Descriptions (apply only for the scholarships you are eligible for)
Click the link below for the General Application. You can use the fillable PDF or Word version.
Click the links below for Special Applications (apply only for the scholarships you are eligible for)
Lawrence Jaycees Gary Saathoff Memorial Scholarship - Use General Application