Futures Planning Community Engagement Process
The Lawrence Board of Education on August 8, 2022, contracted with consultant RSP & Associates to provide school boundaries, community development, and housing analyses, as well as facility utilization and enrollment projections. RSP will also facilitate a Futures Planning Community Engagement process to develop recommendations to the board about aligning student needs with the board's strategic plan and available resources, including curricular and financial resources.Rob Schwarz, RSP founder and CEO, explained that this will be a community-oriented process, backed by data, for examining solutions that will improve students’ academic experience. He outlined a six-month process of committee meetings, school board updates, public input sessions, and a community survey. This Futures Planning Community Engagement process will begin in September and conclude by February 2023.
Lawrence Public Schools invited interested individuals to apply to serve on the Futures Planning Committee and selected students, parents/guardians, teachers/staff, and community members representing a broad cross-section of the school district and community.
Membership & Meeting Documentation
September 14, 2022, 5:30-7:00 p.m.
September 21, 2022, 5:30-7:00 p.m.
October 5, 2022, 5:30-7:00 p.m.
November 2, 2022, 5:30-7:30 p.m. (Rescheduled from October 19 due to School Conferences.)
- Pre-Meeting Homework
- Meeting Agenda
- Meeting #4 Presentation Materials
- Facility Condition Study
- Facility Condition Study Addendum: Randomized Building Condition Scores
- Futures Planning Committee ThoughtExchange Survey
November 30, 2022, 5:30-7:30 p.m. (Rescheduled due to October meeting date change.)
- Pre-Meeting Homework
- Meeting #5 Presentation Materials & Committee Work (Updated 12/1/2020)
- Committee ThoughtExchange: Facility Beliefs Statements
- Community Survey Results Summary
- RSP & Associates Enrollment Analysis
- Solution Discussion Activity
- Additional Community Survey Results
December 14, 2022, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Presentation Materials
- Committee Member Feedback about Scenario 1 & Facility Belief Statements
- Revised Futures Planning Community Engagement Timeline
January 11, 2023, 5:30 -7:30 p.m.
January 17 and January 18, 2023, Public Input Sessions
- Posters: Enrollment Outlook, Facilities/Financial Outlook, and Draft Budget Reductions Proposal
- Feedback Form Closed January 25
February 2, 2023, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
February 15, 2023, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Final Committee Recommendations and Considerations
- Equity Impact Analysis
- Final Elementary/Middle School Building Composite Scores (ACI Boland Architects)
News Release about February 21, Special School Board Meeting
Superintendent's Letter about Planning for the Future of our Schools
February 27, 2023, Lawrence Board of Education Meeting, 6 p.m., Educational Support Center, 110 McDonald Drive
Public Hearings for Recommended School Closings, March 25, 10-Noon in the Broken Arrow gym and 2:00-4:00 p.m. in the Pinckney gym