Boundary Advisory Committee
The Lawrence Board of Education charges its Boundary Advisory Committee (BAC) “to monitor district population shifts and school boundaries and recommend changes to the board” and “to ensure that equity, district growth, budget, and transportation are considered in boundary changes.”
According to the BAC Guidelines, each community at-large member will serve a two-year term and be eligible for reappointment for an additional two-year term.
Boundary Advisory Committee Members:
- Dr. Larry Englebrick, Chief Operations Officer
- Board Members: Erica Hill and GR Gordon-Ross
- Executive Director of Human Resources: Kristen Ryan
- Director of Human Resources & Transportation: Ron May
- LEA representative: Emerson Hoffzales
- PAL-CWA representative: Ashley Eicholtz
- Elementary Building Leadership: Dr. Jared Comfort (Schwegler Elementary)
- Elementary Building Leadership: Melissa Blevins (Sunflower Elementary)
- Middle School Building Leadership: Dr. Carissa Miles (Southwest Middle School)
- High School Building Leadership: Mark Preut (LHS)
- City of Lawrence Planning and Development: Amy Miller (Assistant PDS Director)
- First Student Transportation: Jeffrey Lyon, Lawrence Branch Manager
- Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence: Monica Dittmer (CEO)
- Community-at-large representatives: Alneata Barrett, Patrick Brown, Nikki Perry, and Arika Sprecker
The school board on February 27-28, 2023, approved scheduling public hearings for the possible closure of Broken Arrow and Pinckney Elementary Schools in the fall, and the repurposing of Liberty Memorial Central Middle School in 2024-2025 after a year of engaging the community in planning a magnet theme and redrawing middle school boundaries. (Board Meeting news release)
February 22, 2023, Meeting Materials
- Agenda and Minutes
- RSP & Associates Notes: Committee Member Thoughts and Goals
- Meeting Materials
March 1, 2023, Meeting Materials
March 8, 5:30-7:00 p.m., Facilities & Operations Campus, 711 E. 23rd Street, Building A.
March 22, 2023, 5:30-7:00 p.m., Facilities & Operations Campus, 711 E. 23rd Street, Building A.
- Meeting Materials
- Proposed Boundary Concept Map (Large printouts of map will be available during March 25 Public Hearings.)
Recommended School Closure Public Hearings, March 25, 2023, 10 a.m.-noon Broken Arrow Elementary gymnasium, and 2:00-4:00 p.m. Pinckney Elementary gymnasium.
Sign up to speak at PublicComment@usd497.org or complete a public comment form at the hearings, prior to the president's Call to Order.
Board of Education Meeting, 6:00 p.m., March 27, 2023, Educational Support Center, 110 McDonald Drive, Boardroom.