Lawrence Public Schools recognizes the curriculum design process happens in phases and includes a planning, implementation, and review process for each content area, with constant attention to culturally sustainable curriculum and teaching practices. Revisions to curriculum scope and sequence typically occur one year after the Kansas Standards are published.
2020-21 Curriculum Goals
- 1.1 Align new KSDE Competencies with existing curriculum documents in response to changes in delivery during the COVID-19 pandemic by August 10, 2020.
- 1. 2 Identify curriculum standards for all staff that lead to career readiness and the development of Individual Plans of Study at the secondary level (6-12) by December 30, 2020.
- 1.3 Facilitate the identification of priority standards and supporting standards for each grade level and course for science by June 1, 2021.
- 1.4 Facilitate the identification of priority standards and supporting standards for elementary health by October 1, 2020.
- 1.5 Review the 2020 History the new 2020 Kansas History, Government, and Social Studies Standards, identify any gaps in the history of people of color, including both triumphs and losses and bring forward "supplemental standards" for board approval that ensure race and the impact of race on our communities, systems, and culture will be part of every student's educational experience by June 1, 2021.
Elementary and Early Childhood
Below you will find contacts and links to curriculum resources for Elementary and Early Childhood in the Lawrence Public Schools.
Elementary students are graded based on standards taught in the Lawrence Public Schools. These progress reports provide an overview of curriculum standards for each grade level and subject area.
Since the spring of 2020 our teachers and scholars have been challenged to teach and learn in new ways. We are grateful for our teachers ability to adapt outcomes based on student needs during the pandemic and the learning support our families have provided during these times. To align instruction and support a smooth transition for students, the Elementary Curriculum Leadership Team has identified the most critical standards for each grade level to focus on. As a result, there may be a few standards that have not yet been targeted and may be left blank. We provide this honest assessment and clear communication from teachers to families to help in identifying any learning gaps and assist in creating instructional plans to address those gaps. We thank you for your continued understanding as we ensure each student is making progress toward grade level standards.
Here is a link to a document identifying the focus of elementary teachers for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year: Priority Standards of Focus for 2020-21
Below you will find contacts and links to curriculum resources for High Schools in the Lawrence Public Schools.