Lawrence Public Schools Driver Education summer 2021 Dates: June 3 - June 30, 2021
East Heights 1430 Haskell Ave, Lawrence
Who is eligible to enroll in summer driver education?
- Students who reside in the USD 497 school district.
- Students must be at least 14 years of age when class begins.
- If the student has taken the State Knowledge Test at DMV test four times unsuccessfully, they are not eligible for the course due to state regulations.
When and where can I enroll in the summer driver education course?
- Interested students must sign up by sending an email to email@example.com or call 785-330-1700 and give the student’s name, school attending, date of birth and AM(7-11am) or PM(11:30am-3:30pm) session preference, beginning March 29, 2021. You will be contacted with a date and time to fill out your DE99* and take a handbook test as well as what to bring with you on that day to complete your enrollment.
- DE Enrollment Form 2021
- We can enroll 96 students this year; 48 AM session and 48 PM session. Once the course is full, we will begin a wait list.
How much does it cost and what forms of payment do you accept?
- The course fee is $225.00. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order on the day the student completes their DE99*. Payment may also be made online by electronic check or credit card payments, once the fee has been assessed to the student’s statement. For information about eFunds, the district’s online payment system, go to usd497.org/fees.
- USD 497 uses CCM Enterprises, a check recovery company, for insufficient checks. By law, CCM is able to electronically debit the check writer’s account for the amount of the check and a $30.00 processing fee.
- The course fee must be paid by June 9th unless prior arrangements have been made.
When and where will the class meet?
- Students will meet at East Heights, 1430 Haskell Avenue, beginning June 3, 2021. You may enter through the east (back of the building) or the south door. The first day of class, there will be a staff member to greet you and give further instructions.
Accommodations: Support is available for students who have IEPs. Please let us know when you enroll that support will be needed for the reading/writing portion of the class. Also, please inform your IEP case manager that you are planning to take Driver Education offered through USD 497.
All Driver Ed students will be required to take a handbook test before they can participate in the driving portion of the course. The handbook test will be a 25 question, fundamental introduction on knowledge of driving. Students, please click https://ksrevenue.org/pdf/dlhb.pdf for the Kansas Driving Handbook.
An Instruction Permit is encouraged prior to enrollment as Kansas Graduated Driver License Requirements do require that an Instructional Permit is required and must have been held for at least 1 year prior to receiving a Restricted License at age 15 or 16. The 1-year period begins the date the Instruction Permit is issued.
See https://ksrevenue.org/dovgdl.html for Graduated Driver License Requirements for Teen Drivers.
Patty Buchholz Coordinator II Student Services
785-832-5000 x 1700