Requests for School Transfer

  • middle school students discussing social studies Lawrence Public Schools assigns students to school attendance centers based on the residential address of the legal guardian with whom the student resides. The legal guardian may request a transfer to a school outside of their assigned attendance area.

    The Middle and High School 2023-2024 Transfer Request form is now available. Complete the form and upload a current utility bill for Proof of Residence. 

    The Elementary 2023-2024 Transfer Request form is now available.  Please note the  2023-2024 new boundaries prior to completing the form. You may look up an address using this elementary boundary interactive map. Then complete the form and upload a current utility bill for Proof of Residence.  

    Transfer requests are due by May 19, 2023.    

    Note: Families affected by 2023-2024 boundary changes who have a student currently in grade 3 or 4 (who will be in 4th and 5th grade for the 2023-2024 school year) are exempt from boundary changes, along with any younger siblings currently attending the same school.  Elementary families who are exempt from boundary changes should complete a Transfer Request Form if they are choosing to remain at their current school. Families who choose to attend their new school will not need to complete a transfer request.  

    School transfer decisions are based on such factors as available classroom spaces and code of conduct issues, which include attendance. Transfer requests may be communicated to each school’s administrative office before a final decision.  Decisions and notifications regarding transfers may not be made until after the August registration period is completed. On occasion, buildings may be closed to all incoming transfer requests from students outside the assigned attendance area.

    The approval of a transfer at one educational level does not set precedence for the next level.  A new transfer request must be submitted for each educational level (elementary, middle school, high school). Siblings of students attending a school on a transfer request are not guaranteed approval to attend the same school. They must apply separately and are subject to the same stipulations as all other transfer requests. The district does not provide transportation for students attending a school outside of their attendance area on a transfer. 
    Non-Resident students (at any grade level) who move or reside with their legal guardian at a residence outside the Lawrence USD 497 district boundaries (in another school district) who have applied and been approved, may be required to apply for admission each school year. Non-Resident students who are approved must be enrolled and attending prior to September 15 of any given year.